• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg

The History

Already in 1430 began the reign of the lindenau dynasty and until 1802 the family determined the fortunes of the city Machern.

The last count of the empire, Carl Heinrich August von Lindenau, has been inspired by his numerous trips abroad and designed these english gardens.

The garden buildings, the pyramid, the hygia temple or the imposing ruin of the knight's castle, that have been drafted by the landscape gardener E.W. Glasewald, impressively reflect the “time of the sensibility” and the “age of enlightenment” and give to this arrangement it's distinctive imprint.
 

 

 

The castle of Machern has been established as a water castle. Over the last centuries it has been consistantly rebuilt and expanded. The oldest parts probably originate from the beginning of the 16th century.

After the Thirty Years' War it received its current shape as a three-wings baroque arrangement. Because of the construction of the first distant railway in 1833 water-bearing layers had been divided in the soil. Thereby the groundwater level sank and the water expanse around the castle run dry.

When the last owners of the castle – a trader family from Leipzig – had to leave the castle in 1946, it descended into community property. The village hall, restaurant and appartments have been attached and used by the municipal office and the village school.

In 1981 a fire destroyed the roof framework in the east wing and furthermore the ravages of time gnawed at the formerly gorgeous building.
In 1982 the castle has been reconstructed step by step and after the german reunification in 1990 it has been extensively restored by public funds. Thus, nowadays it gleams in a new splendor and thereby represents a piece of grown economic and cultural development in saxony.